Beer Ye! Beer Ye!
For Volume 50… FIFTY!! PEOPLE!!… we decided to each bring our favourite beer of 2018 that may or may not have had the chance to be represented in a 2018 Beerstitution Volume. This way, we could each be certain that the beer that we feel (most) in love with during the calendar year of 2018 would have a fair shot at being crowned Byear of the Year in 2019. This was, I think, the highest scoring Volume of all time. Don’t quote me on this but wow did we have some amazing beer tonight! Also, 7 beers for 5 attendees? Good for us!
Brasserie Dunham x Naparbier – Hemen eta Han [Nick]
- A collab between one of our favourites and a new brewery (to us) from Spain – Naparbier. Blend of simple saison, foedre aged rye saison, and blackberry saison.
- Perfect. Little funk little sour and so so so great!
BRSTº Rating: 4.6/5
Microbrasserie Les Grand Bois – Impérial Gros Tigre [Jones]
- An ISA with Imperial in the name is slightly misleading, but that’s ok since it’s a great Session IPA – great hop, fruits from thé vitra and then short, boom done!
- Oddly enough it was concurred that it does smell a little like cat pee and we all enjoyed said cat pee.
BRSTº Rating: 3.7/5
Brasserie Dunham – Saison Rustique Brett Lochristi [Corey]
- This is their regular Saison Rustique made with a unique strain of the Brettanomyces wild yeast from Flanders. We thought it was huge and wonderful and sessionable and a Brett kick at the end. SO so good.
BRSTº Rating: 4.1/5
Microbrasserie Le Castor – Saison Macérée [Laurent]
- Le Castor released 2 versions of this beer and we had the Version 2: 7.2% alc./vol. Le marc est composé des cépages chardonnay (pressé) et seyval blanc (vin orange), provenant d’un vignoble biologique situé dans les Cantons-de-l’Est.
BRSTº Rating: 4/5
Benelux Brasserie Artisanale – Buzz [Daniel]
- Great sweet tart hoppy blend! Would love to have this on tap!
BRSTº Rating: 3.5/5
Brasseurs du Nord – Boréale IPA du Nord-est [Laurent]
- This beer is world-class, genre-defining and straight up OUTSTANDING!
BRSTº Rating: 4.5/5
Beau’s – New Lang Syne [Daniel]
- This is an annual release Belgian Tripel brewed with Champagne yeast. Usually I love this beer, rate it 4 or higher, but this year it kind of let me down… too heavy on the malt for me, for us.
BRSTº Rating: 3.5/5
Best in Show (points): Brasserie Dunham x Naparbier – Hemen Eta Han
‘Til next time!
That Guy from Beerstitution